The Maryland Department of Commerce and several Maryland environmental tech and water tech companies are participating in a business delegation to the Netherlands, including Water Tech Europe trade show and other site visits, during the week of September 19 – 24, 2022.
The trip includes:
1. Participation in the Water Tech Europe trade expo and the accompanying Wetsus Congress at European Water Technology Week (EWTW) which brings together sessions and field visits focused on topics like sustainable water supply, wastewater treatment and reuse, circular economy, energy production from water, climate resilience, and new water sources. This is the place for professionals working on solutions for tomorrow’s water issues. EWTW attendees include universities, research institutes, innovative companies and corporate end-users, government representatives, and water clusters from Europe and around the world, including water clusters from the U.S. like the Milwaukee Water Council. European Water Technology Week takes place in Leeuwarden in the northeast region of the Netherlands. The Maryland Department of Commerce has a pavilion at Water Tech Europe for environmental tech businesses from Maryland.
2. Site visits — Maryland has planned networking opportunities and field visits to sites in The Hague / Rotterdam in the western region of the Netherlands for the delegation to learn about innovative technologies and meet potential business partners. The program is tailored to the focus sectors of the participating companies. Maryland Commerce consultants in Europe are providing free networking assistance to participants.
3. Maryland break-out session and networking event — Free, in-person event on September 22, 2022 at 5-8pm CET at Venture Café Rotterdam. An opportunity for Dutch entrepreneurs to meet the Maryland delegation and learn about opportunities to soft land their business in Maryland, your gateway to the U.S.A. Event info page
- Help Maryland firms explore business opportunities abroad
- Find international business partners to bring innovative technologies to Maryland
- Network with U.S. and European firms, innovation hubs, and research institutes
- Raise the international profile of Maryland companies
The program and topics is tailored to the focus areas of the participating companies, but it includes topics like:
- Drinking water and wastewater management
- Urban water management and climate resilience
- Water in agriculture
- Maritime technologies
- Renewable energy
- Nature-based solutions for climate adaptation
- Circular economy; water conservation and re-use technologies
- Pollution; plastic soup
Potential site visits include:
- Business networking events in Rotterdam/The Hague region
- The Green Village at Delft Technical University (field lab for sustainable innovation)
- Port of Rotterdam; Port XL maritime tech accelerator
- Envirotech testing facilities
- Stormwater water infrastructure; storm surge barriers
- Aquaculture sites
- In addition, the EWTW Wetsus Congress includes field trips related to resource recovery from wastewater, energy production from water, circular water systems, and horticulture. Tours start from WaterCampus in Leeuwarden.
- Eligibility: Participation is open to Maryland firms — firms that have their business operations in Maryland.
- Financial assistance: Maryland businesses can apply for the Export MD grant to cover a portion of their trip expenses (up to $5,000 reimbursement). The deadline to apply for this grant has passed.
Participating Maryland companies
Are you a Dutch company looking to do business in Maryland?
Maryland is the ideal place to expand your business to the USA, and for you to find Maryland partners to assist in addressing the environmental challenges facing us all.
Maryland has developed innovative programs and incentives to help international companies interested in developing a presence in the U.S. market, including the Maryland Global Gateway soft landing program: https://commerce.maryland.gov/softlanding which is available to companies in any sector, not only environmental technology.
The soft landing program is available year-round, but if you apply by Oct 31, 2022, your company may be eligible for additional financial assistance and support (press release about the Oct 31 application deadline)
For more information
Contact the delegation’s leader:
Andrew Kreinik, Regional Manager for Europe and Australia at Maryland Department of Commerce: email@example.com (or contact Baltimore-Rotterdam Sister City Committee for information).
Maryland Commerce’s blog post:
Learn more about doing business in Maryland: